Vegetable Crumble is a family favourite in our house, and is incredibly cheap and nutritious!
1. Mix all the topping ingredients together and put to one side
2. Sauté all the root vegetable in a little oil until soft. You really need to do this, once you add the tomatoes, the potato and carrot don’t seem to soften any more, and boiled onion is not the flavour we are after here.
3. Put the base in an oven proof dish and pile the topping over it.
4. Bake at 190C for about half an hour.
5. If you have any available, a crisp green vegetable goes well
Per serving, Serves 4
Calories 656, Protein 17, Fat 41, Carbohydrate 56
Cost 40p per serving
Any root vegetable you have will work well here. If you have seeds of any description, a spoon or two in the topping is delicious, I like sesame and sunflower. If you don’t have any cheese, leave it out, the crumble will still taste lovely.
This post was written by Thrifty Lesley (aka Lesley Cooper). For more delicious yet thrifty recipes, follow her blog at thriftylesley.com.Back to blog home Previous Article Next Article